Full of healthy and vibrant vegetables, Unstuffed Cabbage Soup is filling and nutritious. This soup recipe is power-packed with lean ground beef, crisp-tender cabbage, and fresh greens. Enjoy a hearty bowl for dinner or lunch.
- Lean ground beef
- Green cabbage
- Bell pepper
- Diced tomatoes
- Fresh baby spinach, kale, or arugula
- Tomato juice or vegetable juice
- Vegetable broth
- Celery salt
- Black pepper
- Sea salt to taste
How to Make Unstuffed Cabbage Soup:
- Brown and crumble the ground beef in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook with the minced garlic until no longer pink. Transfer the beef to a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Add all other ingredients to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours, until the carrots are tender.
Adding cabbage to soup makes it hearty and healthy. Cabbage is one of the healthiest foods you can eat because it is loaded with nutrients and vitamins such as vitamin B6, vitamin C, and calcium. Cabbage is also relatively inexpensive and is a great addition to your cooking routine. You can eat it raw, grilled, steamed, and sauteed. And in this Unstuffed Cabbage Soup recipe, too. 🙂
VARIATION: This recipe is also great with shredded chicken. Or, make it a meatless meal by leaving out the protein.
Cabbage is high in fiber and contains powerful antioxidants, including polyphenols and sulfur compounds. Antioxidants protect the body from damage caused by free radicals. Free radicals are molecules that have an odd number of electrons, making them unstable. When their levels become too high, they can damage your cells.
–Jillian Kubala, Healthline.com
Cabbage is especially high in vitamin C, a potent antioxidant that may protect against heart disease, certain cancers and vision loss.
This cabbage soup recipe makes enough servings to have dinner and plenty of leftovers for meal-prep lunches. Pack in a jar along with a tossed green salad for a nutritious lunch at the office. Everyone will be wanting what you’re having.
Looking for more? Subscribe and follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram to be the first to get exclusive updates.
Unstuffed Cabbage Soup
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 head green cabbage chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 cups baby spinach or arugula torn
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 16 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 6 ounces tomato or vegetable juice
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- sea salt to taste
- In a skillet, brown the beef with the garlic over medium high heat, stirring frequently. Cook until no longer pink. Transfer to a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Add all other ingredients and stir.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours and on low for 8 hours.