Summer is one of the best times of year, don’t you think? Beautiful sunshine, warm weather. Fun outdoors, lounging by the pool, getting things done outside. However, the hot summer months can be hard on your skin. We’ve got 10 Essential Tips for Summer Skin Care to keep you glowing + gorgeous this season.
Summer definitely has pros and cons. On one hand you get to enjoy the glorious sunny days, soaking up nature’s rays. Summer is also the perfect time to work on all of those household projects, too.
Then there are days lounging by the pool. Beach vacations and weekend at the lake. Picnics at the park with the kids. Cookouts and camping.
All of the things you enjoy about summer can come with a hefty bit of wear and tear on your skin. Think sunburn. Dry skin from too much chlorine or sand. Bug bites have you itchy. Oh…and my personal not-so-fave…sweat.
Why Summer Skin Care is so important.
There are 10 simple steps you can take to make sure your skin stays fit and healthy. Your skin is your body’s biggest and most beautiful part, babe. So let’s take care of it this season.
The great thing about summer is that you can likely simplify your skin care routine. Keep scrolling to get our 10 Tips on Summer Skin Care.
10 Essential Summer Skin Care Tips:
- Drink lots of water. Staying hydrated is the #1 essential for taking care of your skin during the hot summer months.
- Use SPF. Protecting your skin when out in the sun is a must. Pick an SPF of between 30 – 50 and reapply often.
- Moisturize your skin. Exposure to the sun, sand, wind, chlorine and other seasonal elements can be very drying to your skin.
- Keep covered. You can also protect your skin from sun over exposure by wearing light, breathable clothing. Look for items with UPF for extra protection. Oh, and don’t forget your wide-brimmed hat.
- Don’t skip your lips + eyes. Your lips and eyes are extra sensitive during the peak summer months. Use a lip balm with SPF and wear dark sunglasses.
- Wash your face twice a day. You may be in the habit of washing your face early in the morning. But this time of year, it is a good idea to also wash your face before you go to bed to get rid of sweat, oil, and dirt.
- Take cool showers. Hot water can be hard on your skin and strip it of protective natural oils. Do your skin a favor and take quick, cool showers during the hottest month’s of the year.
- Use a toner. Heat and sweat can cause your pores to open up, allowing dirty oil to clog them up. You can help avoid this problem by using a skin-tightening toner after washing your face.
- Exfoliate at least once a week. You don’t want to over do it, but using a gentle exfloliant once a week can help your skin stay smooth and glowing because it sloughs off dead skin cells.
- Eat to nourish your skin. Consume a lot of fresh, skin-friendly fruits and vegetables such as melons, cucumbers, tomatoes, berries, and citrus fruits. These foods have natural skin boosting properties and contain tons of antioxidants to repair sun damage.
Be good to your skin. You’ll wear it every day for the rest of your life.-Renee Rouleau